This is my personal blog. The About page tells you who I am.

This blog doesn’t do anything fancy or interesting with data, personal or otherwise.

I use a log analysis tool to collect basic stats about visits to this blog: overall visitor numbers, browsers used, hashed IP addresses, approximate geographical location (to city/region level) and the pages viewed. I use data from MaxMind to help map IP addresses to location. I collect that information just so I have a rough idea of how the site gets used. I’m not tracking you, and I won’t have the slightest idea who you are unless you say so in a comment.

Speaking of which, if you post a comment then I will look at it to moderate it, and if I allow it to be published then anything you included in that comment will be published on the blog.

I use a third party service called Akismet to help stop spam comments. So, if you post a comment, Akismet will see it too. So far as I can tell they don’t do anything with it except use it to get better at stopping spam. Their privacy notice explains in more detail.

I do all of this because it’s in my legitimate interests to run this blog and to understand a bit about how it gets used. That is, I have thought about it and I have concluded that the above is reasonable, proportionate and doesn’t harm anyone.

This site doesn’t use any non-essential cookies.

If the UK or EU GDPR applies to you, then you have rights to access a copy of your personal data, have it corrected if it’s factually inaccurate, have it deleted (sometimes), and a few other rights which probably aren’t relevant here. You’ll have to prove your identity to me first through whatever method seems most sensible.

I don’t do anything that engages the California Consumer Privacy Act.

If you’re in the UK and you don’t like something about this then you have the right to complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office. If you’re in the EU, you can complain to your local supervisory authority.

That’s it, basically. I last updated this on 28 February 2021, to describe the embedded YouTube thing more accurately. If you have questions or want to exercise your rights, send an email to privacy at hedders dot me.